Web Editor at Mwananchi Communication Ltd
Mwananchi Communications Limited (MCL), a subsidiary of Nation Media Group, and publisher of Mwananchi, The Citizen, Mwanaspoti and various digital platforms and products is looking to recruit a highly motivated and experienced individual to fill the position of WEB EDITOR – MWANANCHI.
WHO YOU ARE
This position requires an exceptional bilingual journalist and digital native who is obsessed with using data & insights to generate engaging content and build audiences across multiple platforms. You have a proven track record creating targeted, interactive web & social media content, managing online communities, converting casual readers and followers into engaged fans. As an audience-first digital journalist, you are obsessed with quality, clarity, accuracy and speed. You are also comfortable with various content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, CoreMedia), analytics tools (Chartbeat, Google Analytics) and footprint & impact trackers (Keyhole, Hootsuite).
WHAT YOU’LL DO
• Use audience data to refine content strategies for news, features and special projects for mwananchi.co.tz, YouTube and social media pages, focusing on mobile-first delivery.
• Develop monthly content calendars (outside events stories) for mwananchi.co.tz, ensuring a consistent pipeline of original digital reporting and exclusive web stories.
• Upload & distribute articles (text, visuals & audio) to mwananchi.co.tz and other MCL sites and social media channels, ensuring accurate, timely content delivery for discrete audiences.
• Edit headlines and copy for websites, video & social media platforms utilizing SEO best-practices (use of metadata, tags, keywords, internal linking, optimized media).
• Champion the use of videos and interactive photography across MCL websites & social media pages, ensuring content is of exceptional, publishable quality.
• Prioritize web coverage to focus on readership (engagement) and impact, giving prominence to content that demonstrates exceptional newsworthiness and clarity.
• Develop and deploy new content formats, including new segments for our existing video platforms (YouTube & Instagram), interactive stories and visualizations.
• Research, cultivate & operationalize new digital distribution platforms for Mwananchi content (e.g. TikTok, Discord), working closely with the ME, Online & New Content.
• Cultivate and effectively manage relationships with various sources and stakeholders to ensure newsmakers talk to Mwananchi Digital first.
• Serve as digital liaison and champion with MCL’s various news desks & content team, helping them learn to deliver news for digital platforms first.
• Any other duties or responsibilities assigned by your head of unit.
• Academic: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/Mass Communication or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
• Experience: 3-5 years working experience, preferably in a newsroom or media environment in progressively responsible editorial or content production roles.
• Technical: Expertise with digital audiences, content creation and distribution using various CMSes. Experience editing & sharing video (Premier Pro, Final Cut, MimoLive).
TALK TO US TODAY!
If this feels like an opportunity you want to take on, please apply through our career portal at https://bit.ly/3k38R70 or reach out to email@example.com. Women are highly encouraged to apply. If sending your documents via email, please PDF everything. MCL is an equal opportunity employer. We would love to hear from you, though due to the high volume of applications, we will only contact shortlisted candidates.
February 28, 2023.