Program Associate Litigation at Centre for Strategic Liitigation
Summary of the Role
In pursuing its 5 years’ strategic plan, CSL is looking to hire a Program Associate – Litigation. The primary task of the incumbent will be to participate in the execution of activities of the Litigation department and contribute to other departments as and when need be. As with most members of the CSL team, the Program Associate – Litigation will participate in executing CSL activities from time to time in line with the CSL strategy and framework of activities. The incumbent bears responsibility for the successful design and execution of activities in line with CSL’s litigation strategy and advocacy priorities as stipulated from time to time.
- Manage the Litigation portfolio and execute activities such as:
- Developing and executing activities of the Litigation team as agreed in the departmental and organizational Annual Plan.
- Documenting and reporting on the activities of the litigation department and providing case notes, summaries, briefs and other updates as necessary for reporting and accountability.
- Developing and managing the CSL Case Index, tracking all the cases CSL is involved in and providing necessary input including further research where necessary.
- Managing the litigation team diary and calendar including setting relevant reminders.
- Participating in team meetings as calendar manager, note taker and recorder.
- Holding brief for the litigation program lawyers on any case assigned.
- Designing, organizing and documenting the department’s learning activities including litigation clinics, surgeries and learning events.
- Working closely with the Research team to establish areas of collaboration including contributing legal research into the annual Tanzania Civic Space Monitor.
- Provide technical and administrative support to the Public Interest Litigation working group in line with the coalition’s mandate and the key priorities outlined in CSL’s litigation strategy.
- Support CSL’s advocacy efforts through targeted research, networking and engagement.
- Participate in executing other CSL activities as may be assigned from time to time in line with the CSL strategy and framework of activities.
- Propose relevant activities to enhance implementation of the CSL strategy and framework of activities.
- Contribute to CSL’s Learning, Monitoring and Evaluation activities guided by the CSL strategy as well as the MEAL Framework.
- Contribute to building a high performance culture at CSL by proactively engaging with other teams and departments towards the implementation of the shared objectives provided in the CSL strategy.
- Represent CSL to relevant stakeholders as assigned by the Line Manager.
- Participate in planning and documentation of the activities of the litigation department proactively and as assigned by the supervisor.
- Implement strategic partnerships and initiatives effectively in a manner that brings results and change, and that generate specific new knowledge and results for CSL partners while achieving CSL’s goals.
- A Bachelor of Law Degree holder from a well known university.
- A Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law School or an equivalent qualification will be an added advantage.
- Strong affinity and commitment to CSL values and principles.
- At least three years’ experience working with the national and regional court systems
- Experience working on advocacy campaigns at national and international level.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent IT skills including familiarity with MS Office and G Suite.
- Exhibit exceptional time management skills in order to meet competing deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written skills in both English and Swahili.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Ability to cope and work in a fast paced busipness environment.
- Keen understanding of the country’s, regional and global legal, political and social context
- Analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to translate these into program development and management.
- Creative thinker, imaginative, able to think outside the box and make unorthodox connections.
- Curiosity and passion to learn, push the envelope, innovate, be creative, take thoughtful risks and get things done.
How to apply:
Applications will only be received online via this link. On the form, please attach the following documents:
- Your most recent Curriculum Vitae with three referees.
- Your motivation letter, highlighting why you think you are the most suitable candidate for this position and why you think you are the right fit for CSL’s mission, vision and values.
Only applications that fully comply with application instructions will be reviewed. CSL will reach out to shortlisted candidates two weeks after the closing date for application.
Applications are open until February 15, 2023.